History

The Florida Legislature established this independent special Healthcare District in 1949 through The Enabling Act (HB No.1669). The District began to evolve shortly there after with it’s  first tangible milestone in 1952, when Winter Garden’s North Dillard Street became home to the 41-bed West Orange Memorial Hospital.

The launch of Paramedic Services during the mid-1960’s  and opening of West Orange Manor, a 118- bed, skilled nursing home facility, purchased by the District in the 1970’s marked yet another milestone. In keeping consistent with its commitment to address the healthcare needs in the West Orange Community,  West Orange Manor added 110 beds in 1988 and adopted a new name – Health Central Park.

In a bold move in 1990, the District broke ground on an integrated hospital and medical office complex in nearby Ocoee, opening the spectacular Health Central hospital in 1993.

By 2010, a national movement of hospital mergers and the passage of the Affordable Care Act led the District to evaluate a variety of integration options to better serve the residents of West Orange County. The multiyear process resulted in the 2012 sale of all District facilities to longtime partner Orlando Health.

Under the terms of the agreement, Orlando Health agreed to pay the West Orange Healthcare District $181 million over 15 years, with proceeds dedicated to improving the quality and availability of world-class healthcare services and facilities in West Orange County.

The hospital, now branded as Orlando Health- Health Central Hospital is a Stroke Certified hospital, featuring 211 acute-care beds, offering Code STEMI cardiac care among its leading services, and is poised to soon provide cancer care and radiation therapy by University of Florida Cancer Center.

In 2016, with support and funding from the West Orange Healthcare District, Health Central Hospital expanded its Emergency Department from 15,000 sq. feet to 54,000 sq. feet with 52 beds in one unified area. The District’s support and funding also contributed to the construction of a new bed tower which allows the hospital to offer 211 private patient rooms and accommodate specialized services.

The continued partnership and commitment of the District and Orlando Health to address the healthcare needs in the West Orange Community are visible with the ongoing expansion of the Health Central Hospital campus.

In 2016 the District granted additional funding to support the construction of a 30,000 sq. ft. comprehensive cancer center with expanded clinical programs and services for family, supportive and holistic care. As well as the construction of a new 100-bed skilled nursing facility which will include a 60 bed rehabilitation unit and a 40-bed memory care unit.

The Enabling Act (HB No.1669)

Enabling Act

 


oldPhotohospital

Save

Save